Monday, February 23, 2015

RIP Scott Hines

Like most of you in the desert, I was stunned to hear of the death of Scott Hines on Sunday. He was only 45.

I knew Scott pretty well when he first ran for the Rancho Mirage City Council. It was a tough race. There was a campaign spearheaded by local GOPers to stop him. Scott won and many people including myself thought he may be destined for higher office.

Scott was very instrumental in diffusing tensions in Rancho Mirage during the Koch Brothers protest in 2011. Despite the heavy handed tactics of law enforcement, Scott kept the lines of communication open and I remember meeting him in the local Starbucks at The River the day of the big protests for an interview. I always could call on him for a Rancho Mirage perspective.

Let be clear on this, I did not agree with some of his professional choices nor some of his political ones. But of course all that pales in the twilight as we mourn a father, Air Force veteran and community leader.

Steve Kelly Can Be Heard Weekdays 4 To 6P Pacific Time on 1450 KPTR. Follow him on I Heart Radio by typing in KPTR on or twitter @skellykptr

No comments:

Post a Comment