Thursday, December 10, 2015

RIP George Zander A True Warrior

Word has just started to come via social media that George Zander, a long time political activist in the Valley passed away today. George and his spouse were the victims of a hate crime assault last month. No word yet on whether or not that contributed to today's sad event.

George was like me. a child of an FBI agent. He was a big time Democratic activist in Seattle and when he moved to the desert, he continued to be very involved with the Stonewall Democrats and Equality California. He also was an expert on Covered California. George was on the front lines in the battle against homelessness in Palm Springs.

Over the years George and I would get together to talk politics. We didn't always agree on everything but I really enjoyed spending time with him and I hope he felt likewise. I last saw George back in October at the Desert Sun's pop-up political event. We chatted in the parking lot about various candidates and the usual pomposity that reigns supreme in Palm Springs politics. Within 20 minutes, we were both laughing. When I think of George, that last chat is what I will remember.

A warrior for the underdog, no matter what community they were in. Bless you my friend.

Steve Kelly can be reached at svericker12@gmail.com or on twitter @skellynj

2 comments:

  1. Great commentary Steve. He will definitely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A warrior for the underdog...." Indeed apropos to describe George.

    ReplyDelete