Saturday, January 23, 2016

Old Home Weekend at CareerBuilder Challenge

I first was at the old Bob Hope Chrysler Tournament back in 1996. I was so excited because it was the first time I went to a PGA event as media. I tried to act cool but I was nervous. Unlike the time I broke the soda machine at the BNP Paribas, things went swimmingly.

Fast forward 20 years and here I am again at the CareerBuilder Challenge, the successor to the Bob Hope. And I am home. From the great PR Firm Brenner Zwikel, the great golf writers like Larry Bohannan, the media center and the drive down Jefferson Street in La Quinta, it just feels right.

They have a new sponsor but the old spirit. The Clinton Foundation has added some luster and yes modernized things. The fans now have some great amenities. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I heard some local media make a stink about the Clinton Foundation. When the tournament was on the ropes, the Clinton Foundation came through. This event brings a huge amount of torism dollars to the Valley. The weather usually

I think what has happened is that whether by chance or choice, this has become my tournament. And as such, I must partake in certain rituals each and every year. One of them is to thank the PGA Tour Officials for coming here. I am pleased to report that after 20 years, I still am doing that.  I just heard on that CareerBuilder has a 5 year commitment here. That is great news.

Who knows if I will be here for all 25? But I do know that the last 20 have been special. Thanks for my memories.


Steve Kelly can be reached at skelly@rbroadcasting.com or followed on Twitter @skellynj

No comments:

Post a Comment