Monday, April 11, 2016

Palm Springs It Will Get Darker Before The Dawn

Saturday, I had the honor of being at the Stonewall Democratic cook out. (Point of disclosure, I attended with my step-son who now interns at Democratic Party headquarters.) At this LGBT event, most people were curious about the recent drama at Palm Springs City Hall and because I have written about it, they asked about it. I enjoyed the event very much and came away with several impressions.

First of all. there is more coming out on the Rod Pacheco hire. One of the best lines about was from an unnamed wit who said, "Rod Pacheco was a unifier. Gay. straight, bi-sexual, transgender, progressive, conservative everyone is united. Pacheco is a few fries short of a Happy Meal".It was equally insane for him to be hired. A panic move and when you add in the Warm Sands hateful stand he took, I feel safe to say he is gone. Sooner rather than later.

I also see no way Doug Holland or his law firm stays. If hiring Pacheco is the best legal advice you can give, it is time to go.

As for City Manager David Ready remember all Mayor Moon is asking is for his evaluation to be moved up 2 months. Even if the Mayor wants to dismiss Mr. Ready, he needs 2 other votes. If Mr. Ready was more involved in the hiring of Mr. Pacheco than he is now stating, those votes may be easy to find.

I will admit I poked a stick into a hornet's nest the last few days on this blog but I feel that someone has to ask questions. I appreciate both the official and unofficial input.

I must say that I think the next 3 months will be crazy in Palm Springs as all things continue to unravel. But as much of a downer that may be, there is a silver lining. That being the new leadership in Palm Springs.

I have been critical in the past of Geoff Kors and Mayor Moon. It has been my experience in over 15 years of doing this, the mature politicians respect the job you do and can still be civil. Both of these men were that and more on Saturday. We had jovial, informative discussions.

I was impressed by Mayor Moon keeping the whole City Hall situation in perspective. And Mr. Kors demonstrated some outside of the box thinking on a few issues that I think will surprise and impress people when they are rolled out.

The key issue I see before the City Council is that it must continue to make a break with the past. That is hard to accomplish right now because 2 members of the current council are looking at their legacy including the last 4 years.. And that is taking up too much oxygen in the room.

Steve kelly can be reached at skelly@rbroadcasting.com aand @skellynj on twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment