Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Palm Springs Gets A Reality Check

I have had the great fortune of getting to know Hank Plante.. Hank relocated to Palm Springs a few years back after a tremendous career in journalism winning numerous awards. He has always been very kind to me and it is appreciated.

Hank has a column coming out tomorrow in the Desert Sun and it could be a defining moment in the downtown redevelopment of Palm Springs. I am not going to steal any of Hank's thunder so you are going to have to read the article but it is critical of the designs submitted by developer John Wessman for the the retail phase of the development.

It is going to be interesting to see how the political elites in Palm Springs act upon reading Hank's article. So far one councilman, Paul Lewin has sided with those who want perhaps a different design.

I have been covering politics in this area for almost 15 years and one thing I have learned is that the some of our local politicians can be hyper sensitive to any criticism real or perceived to their grand plans. While Palm Springs tries to portray this cool, hip image to the rest of the world, many times its political leadership is strictly Mayberry RFD. Hank has gravitas that the Palm Springs leadership will find hard to shunt aside.


It is ironic that I find myself not as concerned about the downtown renderings submitted by Mr. Wessman as I am by the obvious lack of tenants that are to fill the new buildings. We have been promised now for a few years that “National and prominent” tenants are lining up. If so who and where? 

The next few days around here are going to be interesting and I for one can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment