Thursday, September 29, 2016

HUUUGE Trump Supporter In The Desert To Open First Local Dunkin' Donuts

Let me state for the record I love Dunkin' Donuts. When I used to fly back home to New Jersey, I always stopped at the counter in Newark Airport for an apple crumb donut. When I was covering Angels Spring Training in Arizona, it was great to see them in Tempe. I longed for the day they would come to the Coachella Valley.

That day has arrived and like so many other days  in my life, it is bittersweet. 3 trips to the doctor in 2 weeks and 5 bags of prescription pills may mean Dunkin' and I will only have our memories. Plus like soda with no fizz, it was rather flat to find out who the new owner is.

Nachhattar Chandi is the man in the dough, literally anf figuratively. He owns a bunch of area gas stations. He also employs Tom Freeman, a long time GOP operative and former county official. And Mr. Chandi has spent half a million dollars, yes half a million dollars to fund a Donald Trump Super Pac. This even sparked protests at one of his gas stations last month.. I'll give Chandi this, it does take a lot of sprinkles to open a business in a heavily Hispanic area while giving half a million to support Trump.

In a week where Mr. Trump has made headlines for his comments on other people's weight, his biggest supporter in the Valley is getting set to open up a donut shop. Rather ironic one would say. Will East Valley Dems speak up on this? Will any Indio leaders comment on this? Or will they remain silent!!

In an intense election season, it will be interesting to find out.

Steve Kelly is a blogger/broadcaster based in the Coachella Valley and can be reached at KellysCorner227@gmail.com or on Twitter @skellynj

No comments:

Post a Comment