Friday, October 7, 2016

Your News My Views 10-7-16

Well a lot of stuff has been going on locally, so let us get right to it.

Your News: Desert Trip is ready, set, go.

My Views: This should be fun. Yeah the parody of it writes itself but I hope everyone has a good time. And that Roger Waters keeps his shirt on! Please. Also will be fun to see Palm Springs try to claim this as theirs. Considering that many newer residents of Palm Springs have never been to Indio, this one is rich.

Your News: Desert Sun endorses all 3 incumbents in Indian Wells Council race.

My Views: Not too surprising as peace has descended upon the good leaders of Indian Wells. It was amusing that the Desert Sun endorsed Doug Hanson and never mentioned the infamous hamburger "going where the sun doesn't shine" incident. That whole incident led to one of the best headlines ever in the Desert Sun. Mr. Hanson's son wrote a Valley Voice with the banner reading MY DAD DOESN'T NEED THERAPY. Classic

Your News; Desert Sun endorses Measure HH in Cathedral City

My Views; A big win for them.

Your News; Desert Sun does not endorse Greg Pettis in his re-election bid.

My Views: Interesting. Pettis who basically runs the city behind the scenes must not be too thrilled. He is running in tandem with John Aguilar. Instead the Desert Sun has endorsed Aguilar and Planning Commissioner Sergio Espericueta. I harbor no doubts that Pettis will be re-elected, Mr. Espericueta has been the subject of a whispering campaign that he is not proficient in English and is also a stooge being run by former Mayor Kathy DeRosa. Ms. DeRosa has vigorously denied any involvement in the campaign I guess those whispers did not dissuade the Desert Sun

Your News: Greg Rodriguez mounts good campaign in the 42nd District race against Chad Mayes.

My Views; Never easy to take on an incumbent and especially if that incumbent is the Assembly Minority leader. In order to prevail, Greg will need a huge plurality in Palm Springs. Considering that Mayes is a Liberty University graduate which is a red flag to the LGBTQ community, it will be a race if Rodriguez gets one.

Your News: I see Gary Jeandron, former PSPD Chief and failed Supervisor and GOP Assembly candidate at Starbucks today in Palm Desert.

My Views; Always a little sad because he is one of the few politicians who does not speak to me. Jeandron was a reasonable Police Chief but afterward, he started hanging out with a real mean segment of the local GOP. I called him out on that. I did decide and let discretion be the better part of valor as I did not ask him how his 2012 "investigation" into Dr. Raul Ruiz was going?

Have fun if you are heading to the concert.

Steve Kelly can be reached at svericker12@gmail.com or @skellynj



1 comment:

  1. The Desert Sun's failure to endorse Greg Pettis for re-election in Cathedral City does not surprise me. They've tried for years to unseat him and some of their print hit pieces were rather nasty.

    I first became aware of their animus when working on Greg's assembly seat campaign in 2008(?). They really pulled a couple of fast ones against him which I documented on my Desert Observer blogging website. So - that they continue to oppose him - is not a surprise.

    Fortunately, Greg's hard work is known to many, if not most, in his community. I'm confident Cathedral City voters will return him to office for another productive and successful term as one of their hardest working representatives.

    Posted by: Bond Shands
    Desert Political Opinion blog - www.Facebook.com/DesertObserver
    My Notebook blog - www.BondShands.com
    Twitter - @BondShands
    .
    Please LIKE my Desert Political Opinion page at www.facebook.com/DesertObserver.
    That's where I post community and political events.

    ReplyDelete