Monday, October 5, 2015

A Handy Translation Guide To The Palm Springs Election

Following the Palm Springs election on social media has been fascinating. Local groups on Facebook have been a beehive of activity. I, too, have joined by blogging about my impressions of the people, claims and facts of the elections. For those who are knew to the scene or social media, I present some primers as to what to expect along with some helpful translations.

Statement: Did You Know That

Translation: Supporters of candidates usually recycle old or negative stories about election opponents. I just found out that Mr. Brown wore combat boots in 1986. This disqualifies him from holding office in 2015.

Statement: I Am Tired Of All These Negative Postings

Translation: People are questioning my candidate so in order to rebut that, I am fleeing to the moral high ground of smug superiority. I chose to live my life as a paragon of virtue, unlike the rest of you and therefore will engage in pompous lecturing.

Statement: The Desert Sun News Division Is Biased

Translation: I don't know how media works and the paper did not endorse my candidate. While by it's very nature, the Editorial Board does make judgement, the news division plays it straight. Oh and I will slam Gannett too.

Statement: This Is The Most Vicious Campaign Ever In Palm Springs

Translation: I have lived here less than 10 years or I have forgotten a few of the earlier doozies.

Statement: I Only Deal With Facts Not Speculation

Translation: The ones that support my candidate. Again I am morally superior to the supporters of other candidates.

Statement: This Election Is Just Like 

Translation: We will put in any national political metaphor because Palm Springs can not just be a town in the desert of 50,000 people. No, it must be special.

Please bear these in mind as the next month or so transpires as you are going to be reading a lot of the above aforementioned

Steve Kelly can be reached at skelly@rrbroadcasting.com
.



No comments:

Post a Comment