Saturday, October 17, 2015

Sanity Guide For Palm Springs Election

Having scoured the comments on both new and old media, I have been fascinated by the intensity and impressed by enthusiasm shown by Palm Springs residents regarding this election. As always there has been a compendium of wit, insanity, fun, hyper sensitivity and pomposity in the comment cauldron. For those of you new to the game, here a helpful guide to not only surviving the election, but enjoying it.

It is only an election: While important, it is not like ISIS is on Ramon Road. The new council will not be able to operate in a way prior councils did because of the raid on Palm Springs City Hall.

Keep it classy: If you post, no profanity. If you have been drinking, stay away from the keyboard. Check the comments you receive. Have you ever noticed that both the hostility and imbecility levels rise considerably after 9P? Vino and Facebook make for an interesting combo.

Don't take yourself so seriously: While please post all you want, don't be under the impression that you will change anyone's mind. That way you have the freedom to be yourself and not a pompous windbag.

Raise the offense bar: If we really wanted we could be offended every waking moment we spend on this planet. Have a sense of humor. A case of moral self-smugness is a complete turn-off.

Stay mature: I had one of the holier-than-thou prigs rip me. Fair enough. But then he got personal and I thought "If I upset him that much", time for him to go.

If something bugs you on social media too much, it is you not them. You have options. You can always not read a post or not respond. Or in extreme cases, you can block someone. Life is too short

Use cannon sense: I had someone say I had zero credibility. Then why read me? If you are reading a blog written by someone with no credibility what does that say about you?

Put It In Perspective: The Palm Springs election is notorious for references that are ridiculously self-important. Already we have seen comparisions to misogyny, Mitt Romney, dirty tricks and the Koch Brothers (Oh yeah, that was me. Better practice what I blog.) It is an election for a mid size California town. Enjoy.

Steve Kelly can be reached at skelly@rrbroadcasting.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you mother. Now, can I stay up past 10 pm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason I enjoyed listening to you.

    Has the term "political pundit" gone out of style? (Oh, well. Not too many people have ever accused me of being stylish!) It's a term that suits you.

    ReplyDelete