Thursday, August 1, 2013

Down The Block



When I was 4 years old, my parents were looking to move from central New Jersey to be closer to New York where my Dad worked. When they were looking to buy a house at 227 Grand Street in New Milford, they asked whether there were any Catholic schools in the neighborhood. Mr. Strauss, the home owner said, "Yes, St. Joes is down the block."                                                                                                                        
And it was down the block I would go to school starting in September 1965 till June 1973. It was there I met so many boys and girls who unknowingly would help shape the person that I am today. In those years, I learned how to tie my shoe as well as my multiplication tables. I would learn how to play tag and kickball plus street hockey. I would witness cruelty, child abuse and courage shown by little boys and girls in stressful situations. I would instigate and lose fights on the playground. I, a boy with 5 brothers, would learn about those strange creatures who smelled nice and wore pleated skirts. I would make friends and share a bond with people for life just like me.

Much has been said and written about the foibles of modern social media. But with all the bad comes some redeeming features. One of them is the ability to find and get in touch with old friends. A few years ago, I was invited to join the St. Joes Class of 73 Facebook page. I joined it immediately. I was soon "Down the block" again. Nicknames such as Bubs, Stymie and Crazy Pete plus mine Esteban or Este or Boner (Don't ask) came back to life and were soon being transmitted from Sweden to California. The years and miles fell away as I heard from classmates who were now grandparents!! When did that occur?

As usual in matters like these the women took the lead in organizing a 40 year St. Joes reunion. My mother would always say, " All the men act like big shots but the women do all the work." As usual, Mom was right.

This weekend in Oradell, New Jersey, men and women will gather at the above mentioned reunion. There down the block from my old home the sound of laughter will ring out with the discussions of "Rumbles on the playground" or "Ali Frazier" or the "Palmer Method". Names that used to inspire terror like Brother Terence or Sister Joseph will be met with shudders and gratitude that they have ascended or descended to their just rewards.

I am sure a few tears will be shed for our departed classmates. There will even be a tour of the old place.

Unfortunately, I will be at my desert home this weekend. I have a variety of things to attend to. But on Saturday morning I will take a few minutes to go back to New Jersey if only in my mind. I will drink a Yoo Hoo and have a buttered roll for breakfast. I will ignore the strange looks I will get in doing so. Because I am tough. I am a St. Joes kid and we don't scare easily.

I salute all you other St Joes kids and if ever needed, remember I will always be down the block.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, can I relate! this past April, I attended a reunion of my college Fraternity. I hadn't seen most of these guys since 1969. The years seemed to melt away after a few beers and songs, and we started addressing one another by our old nicknames -- Schitz, Shrew, Shroud, Mad Dog, Turk, Chili Bean. Sock (One of those nicknames was mine). These were the guys who, like with Steve, helped shape me into the man I am today.

    ReplyDelete