Monday, August 19, 2013

No Place Like Home On The BBC America

BBC America has one of the more intriguing TV series on in Copper. It is about an Irish police detective and Civil War veteran in New York's 5 points area in 1865. Right away the series got my attention because my great-great-grandfather and mother lived there in 1865! I soon became a regular.

The plots sometime seem a little far fetched and also just a tad off historically but the acting is a tour de force with great US character actors teeming up with British, French and Canadian actors. (The series is filmed in Toronto.)

While watching last night, one of the characters said he had lost his faith in God because of what he witnessed at the Battle Of The Wilderness in 1864 in Virginia. My father's great grand uncle Bernard Finan was wounded in that battle. Wow, I thought that was cool. But the best was yet to come.

Later on in the show, at a wake, a young orphan girl tells the lead, she is fine,"Living on a farm with a nice family on the banks of  the Hackensack River in a place called New Milford." I replayed the scene 3 times in order to make sure I got it right. I did!! New Milford had hit the BBC!! At least BBC America!! My hometown had arrived!! It's last claim to fame was when a local liquor store/florist (Yes you read it right.) "won" a free business makeover on some cable channel. Oh and a town resident got in trouble on Undercover Boss!!

Well in reality while New Milford calls itself the "Birthplace of Bergen County", it didn't come into existence as New Milford till 1922. I was hoping that the waif's father would be called Steve Kelly and would be dashingly handsome. Alas it was not to be.

I'm sure the producers got the name out of a google search but who cares? New Milford has made it to the big time. Where it belongs.




No comments:

Post a Comment